LSVT BIG™ Treatment for Individuals with Parkinson Disease (PD)
What is LSVT BIG™?
Recent studies using LSVT BIG have been found to be effective in improving the movements of people with Parkinson’s Disease. Specifically, therapy sessions for patients with PD focusing on increasing amplitude of limb and body movement (Bigness) in people with PD can improve trunk/limb rigidity, speed (upper/lower limbs), balance, and general quality of life. The protocol is both intensive and complex, with many repetitions of core movements that are used in daily living. This type of practice is necessary to optimize learning and carryover of your better movement into everyday life!
LSVT BIG™ is a globally standardized treatment protocol delivered by specially trained physical therapists who earn certification in this program. Treatments delivered by LSVT certified clinicians consist of the following:
- Four consecutive LSVT BIG™ sessions a week, for four consecutive weeks
- Sessions are individual one-hour treatment sessions
- Daily homework practice (all 30 days of the month)
- Daily carryover assignments (all 30 days of the month)
- A singular focus on amplitude (increased loudness in speech; bigger whole body movements)
- A focus on sensory recalibration to assist in generalization of increased loudness and bigger movements outside of the treatment room.
Patients should complete an evaluation with a LSVT clinician to determine if LSVT program are appropriate. A physician’s prescription for a medically necessary evaluation and treatment (4 days a week for 4 weeks) is required for LSVT BIG™